FTA’s in-house cutting-edge compliance platform, specifically designed to enable customers to manage driver and fleet compliance via a single portal, including insights to drive efficiency, cut costs, increase performance and reduce risk.
Launched in 2015 and was one of the most important product launches for the business and its 17,000 member organisations. I was Senior Designer on this project from its inception and for three years in total (2013-2016).
Following in-depth feedback and discussions with our users, we carefully crafted, designed and engineered Visionfta from the ground up.
Research, wireframe, prototype, repeat
- As a UX team of one, my role on the project was to own the design and ensure the experience was fully consistent across all platforms.
- I spent much of the early days talking with users, sketching, wireframing, and prototyping ideas and directions for Visionfta.
- As work began on defining the product, discussions internally had never been more exciting. I had regular workshops with product owners and the development team to discuss and sketch ideas and concepts.
- We worked in an agile environment, which resulted in rapid, iterative design and development. Working in this manner is popular with developers but challenging for designers and I soon discovered I needed to be at least one step ahead of the sprint. In other words, do my research and design work outside of the current sprint, almost laying down the tracks for the team.
- I ran workshops to collaboratively sketch out optimal user journeys and designs, and when development was ready to begin, made sure the devs had a smooth handover and the assets they needed.
- I created clickable prototypes as a way to demonstrate ideas and also to reduce heavy documentation.
- My design process consisted of wireframing in Balsamiq, which was a perfect tool for generating ideas and discovering solutions.
- Visionfta was designed entirely using Sketch.
- For prototyping I was comfortable hand coding my designs in HTML and CSS, saving time for the developers in the process.
- Marvel was also a valuable tool for turning my mockups into interactive prototypes and gather feedback from Product Owners, and within Team Foundation Server (TFS).
- I created an internal style guide that covered everything from colour, iconography, type styles, buttons, and reusable components. Laying that foundation allowed us to move together in unison and allowed me to keep the design consistent.
Validating each idea
- Throughout the process we carried out numerous rounds of user testing to ensure the journeys and interactions were beneficial to users
- Continued monitoring and optimising based on customer feedback post go-live.
- Having validated each idea, the interface had to be logically structured, clean and intuitive. Things that people used the most should be the most readily accessible, with usability essential.
- I had to meet and exceed the desired customer experience, measured by customer satisfaction and customer success of managing, controlling and analysing their tachograph data. I primarily used Hotjar, Google Analytics, and customer feedback for measuring.
Impact and results
- The product continues to receive positive feedback – our users loved the new design
- 10% growth in digital analysis for the company during its first year
- 2017 was a year of continued growth for the business as they increased their income by four per cent to more than £29 million
Performance: benchmarking and comparing driver performance metrics over a 12-month rolling period