On discovering a number of direct donors stopped giving within their first year, we knew we needed to design a better digital account experience for donors across multiple devices to increase engagement. Instead of waiting to launch a minimal product to understand if our ideas were good or before making any expensive commitments, we wanted to test some early designs with customers.
The insight process
The hunch workshop – this kick off stage was all about gathering internal insights, assumptions and ideas from key people across CAF.
Working with the research team, we also used distilled insights from recently commissioned quantitative and qualitative research papers. Alongside this we also interrogated donation behaviour data from our existing donors. Donors wanted to see exactly how their donations would be spent, how each charity spends their money and to search by cause.
Prototyping the concepts – here we distilled all of the information, insights and hunches captured in the workshop and identified any key themes. I designed them initially as wireframes without getting sidetracked by design elements such as colours and images.
I then moved to high fidelity designs and created a prototype for the product to take through to the customer insight workshops.
In total we ran three co-creation workshops (with around a dozen partipants recruited for each session) and 20 in-depth telephone interviews with customers.
Here was the workshop plan:
- Together with the PM, I facilitated a series of co-creation workshops to really understand what features and processes would make this product work for our target users.
- At the beginning of every workshop we discussed each feature briefly but then asked participants to share their thoughts. We printed and stuck each feature on the wall, and as they walked around the room, we asked them to write on post-it notes what they liked/disliked and any questions they had. This gauged individuals first impressions and ensured we got feedback from everyone.
- We then asked them to vote on the top three features with sticky dots – the aim, to shortlist the most important features for further discussion.
- Next we split the particpants into groups of three, gave them specific questions related to the chosen features and asked them to design a better version of the feature. Could we get a deeper understaning of how it could work better for them and develop each idea further?
- Finally, asking them for feedback (anonymous if they prefer) on the likelihood of them using the app
The outputs from these were a series of distilled insights.
Refining the concept – pulling together all of the research and insights we were able to refine the prototypes into a concept proposition for business sign off.
- Intuitive search functionality allowing donors a much improved way of discovering new charities and causes they care about, through a variety of easy to use filters. The charities displayed will be verified giving the donor the ability to identify smaller, more local charities with the confidence that they really exist
- A charity profile pulling in social media updates from the charity, providing in-depth information on the history and mission of the charity and allowing donors to add as a favourite to donate to at a later date.
- Annual giving statement. This will be a digital overview providing all of the donors giving throughout the year.
- A donor account profile providing an overview of donation history, current commitments, overview of volunteer hours logged and other causes they might be interested in. This is where we can show the donor personalised information based on their personal giving history.
- Manage volunteering hours through the account as a way for donors to track non-monetary philanthropic activity
- Donations to fundraising campaigns from a ring fenced balance.
- Multi-funded donations
Moving the design forward
After the workshop I iterated on the designs making sure to include everything we had learned from the workshops to take it into a business case for sign off. Below is the prototype I created.